Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pear Pie

My parents brought me a bunch of pears last weekend. I ate one and realized that it was kicking up my allergies and OAS. Fortunately I didn't break out in hives or anything this time, just a bit of unpleasantness for a bit.

So I had 5 pears left and I can't eat them raw. I looked at them for a while unsure what to do about it. I really haven't cooked with pears before. I didn't have any inspiration or anything. I looked up pear recipes and about all I could find was ice cream and pies. I meant to top the pie with almonds, I just remembered now. Damn.

Anyway, I decided to make a pie. A very simple pie. The term pie is being used pretty loosely, they are really just baked pears in a pie shell. That's OK. I had a pie crust in the freezer, making things even simpler. I put a bit of strawberry jam on top to give it a bit of a glaze.

The filling was rather runny... probably should have tossed the pear slices in cornstarch before putting them in but too late now. But it was very pear-y and sweet and it didn't make my allergies go nuts.

No comments: