Saturday, February 27, 2010

Daring Bakers: Tiramisu

OK, ready? I've made tiramisu a bunch of times before. It's pretty easy. So when I first saw what this was I thought piece of cake, no big deal. Then I looked at the recipe. They required us to make the mascarpone and savoiardi. Who does that? The mascarpone is like $8 for the tub and it's only in the cheese section of the fancy grocery store but whatever. That's how it's always been. As the lady fingers, it's not uncommon for christmas gift baskets to have lady fingers in them so those became tiramisu. Why would I do it any other way?

Making the mascarpone was pretty easy. Heat the cream. Add lemon juice. Stir a bunch. Strain. <$1 for ingredients, 10 minutes on the stove and overnight sitting in the fridge instead of paying $5+ for that little tub is definitely worth the effort. I'll definitely do that again next time i want mascarpone.

I am not really sure why we made a pastry cream, zabaglione, whipped cream, and folded them all together. The tiramisu's I've made before were just zabaglione with whipped cream folded in. Ah well. It was pretty good and rich regardless.

Apparently I never took a pic or am too lazy to get it off my camera. Whichever.

The February 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Aparna of
My Diverse Kitchen and Deeba of Passionate About Baking. They chose Tiramisu as the challenge for the month. Their challenge recipe is based on recipes from The Washington Post, Cordon Bleu at Home and Baking Obsession.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Ugh. I really should get my act together regarding the DB thing.

Do I make this same comment every month?

Ugh again.