Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Compost

The leaves have been falling and suddenly my compost pile is full.



Although actually it was a lot fuller a couple days ago when I loaded it up so hopefully the leaves will break down more before I have to add more.

And yes that picture was taken through my kitchen window.  It's cold out and it's before 7AM!

On a related note, everyone who has seen my compost pile thought it was weird that I had paper in there.  Why is that weird?  Newspaper is a lot like leaves. 

Though really I need some nitrogen in there.  Any suggestions for where to get some that's free?

1 comment:

Fuzzy Bee said...

Anything "green" is a good source of nitrogen. Clip some of those weeds along the fence and throw them in. Rake up some grass clippings next time you mow. Throw in kitchen scraps like peelings, eggshells, leftover fruits or veggies or bread that you forgot about in the back of the fridge. Good luck with your compost!