Sunday, January 27, 2008

Garlic Onion Noodles


I saw this recipe on Steamy Kitchen and decided to make my own take on it.



6 balls of skinny egg noodles (that's what was in the bag that I decided to use)
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 a carrot, julliened
2 T dark brown sugar
1 T fish sauce
3 T olive oil

I started with a large pan and heated it on medium low with the oil while I chopped the onion. Oh and I put the noodles in a pot to soak in cold water. The noodles are these balls of noodles. I got them from the China guys ages ago and just decided to start using them. I left them to soak about 2 minutes, like Jaden says (well, as long as it took me to chop the onion and garlic and go oh crap, I should take the noodles out) so I drained the noodles and let them sit in the empty pot. The noodles stayed in a ball so they held a lot of water so I dumped that out again a couple minutes later.

Back to the sauce. So there's the hot pan with the oil. I added the chopped onion. While that cooked I chopped the garlic and the carrots. To get the carrot super skinny I used a peeler to make planks. Then I chopped the planks into little pieces. That worked pretty well. Then I added the garlic and onion and turned the heat down to low and let that cook. That was probably about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, I heated up 1.5 quarts of water in my new electric kettle (see my Aldi's post), which worked quite well by the way, took a few minutes for the water to heat up. I meant to time it but then I was busy chopping and making the sauce so I failed at that. Anyway, the water boiled and I poured it over the noodles for about 2.5 minutes.

While the noodles were sitting I put together the fish sauce and brown sugar and poured them into the pan with the aromatics and mixed it in. Maybe I didn't let it cook long enough after this because there are tiny flecks of brown sugar on my noodles but I kinda like them so I think it's OK.

We are almost there. I added the noodles, gave a quick mix, with tongs of course, put it in a bowl, took a picture and ate! (Actually I am still eating but you get the picture)

They are quite tasty. A serious garlicky bite (I guess that could be tamed by longer cooking or a little more heat if you want but I don't know why you'd want that) so it's a good thing I'm not planning on making out with anyone anytime soon. The noodles have a nice chewy texture and you can taste the difference with the egg noodles. This is definitely a quick easy tasty dish that I could make anytime and there isn't even anything that I don't always have in it. I probably could add more carrot or other vegetables to pretend it is a little more healthy but eh, why bother.

2 comments:

Karthik Ramachandran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eva said...

No it hasn't. You are nuts.