Thursday, August 21, 2008

All sorts of stuff

I know, it's been a while. I had a nice streak of about 2 months with at least 1 hit here, May 28th to be exact, and then I stopped.... well that streak got broken on August 8th. But I have a good excuse!

I didn't have any form of internet access for a week! From 8/10-15 I had nothing! It was disturbing. On the 15th I got internet access at work. Though that was Friday afternoon and I wasn't exactly going in to work on the weekend. But today I finally got internet access at home!!!

By home I mean the place that I am staying until I find a place. I am renting a suite off a house that this old lady owns. She makes the bed and replaces towels and stuff like a hotel. There is a lot more space than a hotel room and there are no extended stay hotels here so it's better than the hotels around.

But there are a few quirks. She is I guess a typical old southern woman. She is very conservative and friendly.

I got here Sunday night and was really sick so I got some food and went to sleep. The next day was my first day of work. That was a rough day. I was so congested I could barely hear when people talked to me. Then I looked at houses after work. So I got home and I was tired. I as pretty much just going to fall asleep. Then she came down. She offered to help me unpack. By offered to help I mean she started going through my stuff and putting it places. Pretty much I was forced to put everything somewhere where she couldn't see it. Then she sat down and just wanted to hang out for a while.

I was rather concerned after this. I like going home to an empty house. I like to go home and just sit down and relax. I don't want to talk. I don't want to entertain anyone. I don't want to be nice. Maybe I'll turn on the TV. Maybe I'll play with my computer. Maybe I'll make dinner. Maybe I'll go to bed. Maybe I'll sit and stare blankly at the wall. The point is, these are all activities I like to do by myself. And she was getting in the way of this.

Fortunately she stayed away for the next few days. While I can deal with people every once in a while, having her around all the time when I got home might have been a deal breaker.

Work has been hectic. Let's just say they don't really believe in a break in period. So I am running around all day at work and then looking at houses at night. And then stupidly watching the olympics until way too late (meaning past 10) at night. That's why I don't have cable!

Anyway, now I can catch up on reading blogs and stuff. I probably won't have many blog posts since I don't have a kitchen, though I do have my toaster oven, microwave, electric kettle, electric wok and a tiny mini fridge. I have my stand mixer too though I haven't taken it out yet... that probably won't come out until after I have chosen a house. I do my prep on the bathroom counter and then bake in the toaster oven, haha. So far this is what I have made: burgers (on foil in the toaster oven), brownies, tomato salad, egg salad and lots of sandwiches. I am sick of sandwiches. I don't think I had this many sandwiches in the last year before I came here. But I am wary of the eating out options and I think I would get sick of those quickly if I ate them more than 3 or 4 times a week. Well, after I get this house thing settled I'll be able to relax and cook some stuff myself.... hopefully.

No comments: