Sunday, October 5, 2008

Brownies and my new camera

I decided I needed a digital camera. I got a Sony Powershot SD1100 IS. Consumer Reports likes it. Hopefully I will too. It's my first one. I know, I'm so far behind the times. According to the Wall Street Journal I should be on my 3rd or 4th. I almost need to get 2 more right now so I can catch up with the rest of the world.

I needed to test out my new camera. I've had it for 3 days now and had taken 1 pic. This clearly was not good enough. So I made these brownies. I'm a fan of the Ghirardhelli brownie mix but I didn't have any and I have a bit of chocolate so I went in search of a recipe. I ended up basing it on Dorie Greenspan's Quintuple Chocolate Brownies. Very loosely basing off of it. I had 10 oz of milk chocolate so that's what I used for most of it.

Here is the best pic I got with my new camera. Still doesn't look good like some food bloggers' but oh well. I still need to figure out how to use it. The first few pics came out orange because it kept using the flash until I turned the flash off. I need something else to take pics of but for now this will do.

Brownies
based loosely off Dorie Greenspan's Quintuple Brownies

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick (8 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
5 oz milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 oz semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
5 ounces pmilk chocolate, chopped into small chunks
1 cup chopped walnuts (or whatever you have)

Preheat oven. In my case I was melting the butter and chocolate in the toaster oven because I don't have a microwave safe bowl so that was my version of preheating.
Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper.
Melt butter and 5 oz milk chocolate and semisweet together in a bowl. Once mostly melted, let it sit and the rest should melt when you give it a stir. Let it cool for about 5 minutes.
Add the sugar.
Add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time. It will seize up a bit until near the end. That's OK.
Mix in the flour, cocoa powder and salt, just until it's not very dry.
Mix in milk chocolate and walnuts.
Pour into lined pan and spread to even out batter.
Bake at 300 in a convection oven for 35 minutes.
Allow to cool before cutting.
Cut into however many chunks as you want.

No comments: