Friday, November 27, 2009

Daring Bakers: Cannoli (sorta)

I'm sorry but getting out the deep fryer and dealing with the oil is too much work for me. And besides which, it's the daring bakers so I baked. OK I'm making excuses, so sue me.

Instead I decided to make cannoli cups. I made them in a mini muffin tin. I rolled the dough out really thin, cut circles and pressed them into the mini muffin pan and baked at 450 until they were brown. They did crisp up although they didn't have the bubbly texture that fried ones normally have.

I used some red wine instead of marsala so mine turned out a not so appetizing shade of purple. Oh well. I tried. And they still tasted good. I used the regular cannoli cream recipe and then i fudged my own pumpkin cream. They ended up a bit mushy when I took the rest to work the next day but that was expected. I ate them while they were fresh and that's all that matters.






The November 2009 Daring Bakers Challenge was chosen and hosted by Lisa Michele of Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives. She chose the Italian Pastry, Cannolo (Cannoli is plural), using the cookbooks Lidia’s Italian-American Kitchen by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich and The Sopranos Family Cookbook by Allen Rucker; recipes by Michelle Scicolone, as ingredient/direction guides. She added her own modifications/changes, so the recipe is not 100% verbatim from either book.

8 comments:

Olive said...

HI Eva :)

I think this is good, a healthier version of cannoli..I don't like deep-frying that much too, I hate throwing the used oil and I don't like re-using them either..

Audax said...

Nice work on that cannoli cake and much easier on the health than the oil batha and the filling does sound delicious. Cheers from Audax in Australia.

nbalike said...

ED Hardy
ED Hardy Jeans
ED Hardy Hoody
ED Hardy shoes
Women's ED Hardy T-Shirt
Women's ED Hardy Jeans
ED Hardy Belts
ED Hardy T shirt
ED Hardy swimsuit
ED Hardy pants
ED Hardy Sunglasses
ED Hardy handbags
ED Hardy Denim Short
ED Hardy caps
MLB San Diego Padres Jerseys
Men's ED Hardy Long Shirts

Lori said...

I like your cannoli. I bet the wine was good. Hey- purple is festive.

Unknown said...

I love your cannoli cups.great job!!

Heather S-G said...

They look good! I am far too lazy to even make the cup version, so....

Shandy said...

I think your cannoli cups are wonderful! Baking is so much better then deep frying anyways.

Thank you for stopping by and for the compliment on the SMS chocolate cheesecake. She wasn't kidding when she said rich but it was also delicious =)

Anonymous said...

Cannoli Cups! That sounds like something I would try. I joined the Daring Bakers so wil be making this month's challenge. Although wish I was making the cannoli instead!