Monday, November 2, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers BRC: Caramelized Butternut Squash


This came out really good. Something like candy except it's got butternut squash so it's gotta be good for you, right? While the amount of sugar in it is not exactly good for you, it's not THAT much sugar.

Wanna know my secret ingredient? Bacon grease. I put about 2 tbsp bacon grease and 2 tbsp butter rather than the 6 tbsp butter. So I actually cut back the fat a bit.

The toughest part of this recipe is peeling the squash. All I can say is make sure to sharpen your knife before you start. I did it twice while in the process just in case. I also broke a peeler (who does that, how do you even manage to do that?) at which point I decided to peel with the chef's knife. Once you get it peeled, it only takes a couple minutes. Note to self: next time look to see if they sell it peeled.


Here is the recipe.

1 comment:

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

I hear you the peeling just stinks. I have found bags of peeled butternut at Costco. They usually have it this time of year in the refrigerator section.