Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Daring Bakers: Macaroons FAIL

This one did not work out for me. The first weekend that I was planning on making them I ended up at work on Saturday and sick as a dog on Sunday. I ended up making it the next weekend, barely making it in time. The breaking point was when I stupidly decided to do it straight on the pan rather than putting parchment paper down. I was using a nonstick pan so I thought I was OK. Once I took it out of the oven I knew otherwise.


Since I had already used 5 egg whites and had 5 yolks waiting for me to figure out what to do with them, there was no way going to do it again. I used a plastic spatula and scraped them up the best I could, used the yolks to make a lemon curd and made a lemon mixed berry parfait.

Oh well. Not exactly my first failure. At least it was still edible.


The 2009 October Daring Bakers’ challenge was brought to us by Ami S. She chose macarons from Claudia Fleming’s The Last Course: The Desserts of Gramercy Tavern as the challenge recipe.

5 comments:

kristenly said...

you arn't alone. i failed too. this was certainly a difficult challenge.

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Don't you hate it when things don't turn out!

Anonymous said...

I just discovered the Daring Bakers and can't wait to join! Sorry these didn't work out they looked hard to me! At least you could still eat them!

Future Grown-Up said...

If it helps, my cookies looked just like yours and I did go with parchment paper so I think it may be the recipe and not anything you're doing wrong.

Yours still look yummy and that's the most important thing :)

Jaime said...

we failed together :) I will try again in the future - I like using the leftover yolks for either creme brulee or ice cream :)