Friday, July 11, 2008

Spinach and Feta Phyllo cups

A few days ago I was really tired. Really really tired. So tired I left work at 4:30 and fell asleep when I got home and slept through the night. I woke up at 4:30 AM. At this point I was pretty well rested so I figured I'd get up. So what do you do at 4:30 in the morning? I could call someone and wake them up but then they would probably be whiny and not entertaining. So I decided to make something. Someone at work mentioned they would like it if I made something savory, I guess to balance out some of the sweets I usually make. So I decided to make spinach and feta phyllo cups.

I had been wanting to make something with spinach and feta for a couple weeks now, which is why I had the feta in the first place. Feta is not a kitchen staple for me; cheddar and parmesan are but not feta. I had the spinach thawed and sitting the the fridge awaiting an application. I had seen some recipes, like this post that forgot the spinach in the spinach and feta pie and this spinach and feta calzone and I had a pack of phyllo dough in the fridge so I improvised.

I finished them at 6:45 which worked out nicely. I put them in a container and brought them in to work, still warm. The phyllo dough lost its crispness in transit but it probably made them a little easier to eat because then they didn't fall apart.


Spinach and Feta Phyllo cups
Based off a lot of recipes, so who knows

1 large bag of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 container feta
4 eggs
1/2 cup cottage cheese
salt
pepper
freshly grated nutmeg
phyllo sheets
butter, melted

Mix together the first 4 ingredients.
Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. You will use a fair amount of pepper and nutmeg.
Lay out single sheets of phyllo, brush with melted butter then cut the sheet into 12 almost squares. Stack up sets of 3 squares and push them into a mini muffin pan. Put them in every other cup on the pan so the cups do not touch.
Fill each cup with the spinach mix. It doesn't rise much so fill it to the top.
I wish I had sprinkled some parmesan on top but I didn't.
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until the tops are GBD (golden brown and delicious).
Repeat until you are out of phyllo dough or filling or you get bored.
I got tired of the cups so I started making egg roll type rolls out of it.

I have one of my grainy pics but it's probably not worth posting.

No comments: