Monday, March 9, 2009

Lobstor Mac n Cheese

This was a great creamy luxurious item while using up those bits of cheese left in the fridge. I had most of a bag of shredded cheddar, a few ounces of smoked gouda and asiago, and an asiago cheese roll in the freezer. I had bought 2 frozen lobster tails a while back because I had been reading about how cheap lobster was but then didn't really know what to do with them. And I always have frozen peas and corn in the freezer. And of course I have mustard, flour, butter, onion, salt and pepper. The only things I actually needed to buy were the pasta and the milk.

It's a pretty standard mac 'n cheese recipe. Cream sauce, mustard, cheese, pasta, breadcrumbs, bake. I added lobster and some Old bay. Mostly because I have Old Bay in the pantry because I bought it at some point and never seem to actually use it. I always have other flavors that I want so the Old Bay has been sitting there, losing flavor and collecting dust. I can't say it did a whole lot to my recipe other than making me feel like I am actually using some of my spices besides cinnamon and vanilla. But making me feel better is enough.

I ate it for dinner that night, portioned it out and put several in the freezer for later. Better than the frozen pizzas I seem to have a thing for impulse buying. And then eating an entire large one in one night because I had a long day at work.

Anyway. Back to the mac 'n cheese. Mustard is important. It's what keeps the sauce from curdling and clumping and other nastiness. And the flour is important too. It helps make it thick and creamy. And cheese of course is important. So basically everything is important. Aren't I helpful?

Now that I used up the cheeses I had, I felt free to pick up a few more. Yay for a round of brie, and wedges of parmesan and gruyere.



Lobster Mac 'n Cheese

1/2 of an onion, chopped fine
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp flour
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1-2 cups milk
About 4 cups of cheese, mostly cheddar, shredded
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
2 lobster tails
about 1 cup breadcrumbs

Sweat the onion in the butter and olive oil in a large skillet until translucent.
Add the flour stir to coat the flour. Cook to get rid of any rawness of the flour. If it is too thick add a bit more oil.
Add the mustard and Old Bay followed by 1 cup milk. Bring up to a simmer.
Check the thickness and add more milk as needed.
Stir in the cheese, reserving about 1/2 cup for the topping.
Meanwhile, boil the lobster tails just until they turn pink. Do not cook all the way. It will cook more in the oven.
Take the lobster tails out.
When they are cool enough, cut into bite size pieces.
Salt the water and cook the pasta until slightly undercooked.
Stir the lobster and pasta into the sauce
Pour into a casserole.
Top with the breadcrumbs and reserved cheese.
Bake for 30 mins until it is bubbly and browned on top.
Wait until it stops bubbling before cutting into it.

Edit: Picture added

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I made mac n cheese last night from an old library sale cookbook. It was... not good. So it's in the trash right now.

However, your lobster mac sounds tasty and very Maine. I should really try to make something with lobster before I leave this state.

Amanda said...

Also, where's the picture?! :)

Eva said...

No pic because I haven't gotten a new card reader yet. One day I will. But not today

Amanda said...

Ah. I hear ya there. I'm stuck with my sadly small memory card because it's the only one my computer will acknowledge.