Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Daring Bakers: Nanaimo Bars

This month I actually made the recipe early. As in I made it the first weekend I was home. Which is really impressive for me. I knew I was gonna be out of town later in the month so I wouldn't have a whole lot of time to cook and all.

These were very popular at work. VERY popular. As one of my coworkers put it, 'they are better than dope.' And there were requests for more. Immediately. Of course this was also the first thing I brought in after the baking hiatus so that could be part of it. But I'll choose to say it's because I'm such a good baker. Haha. I made a funny. And now I am actually sitting here laughing out loud at myself.

Um anyway....

I found them rather sweet. As in I cut the batch to make 36 about 1x1 squares, ate one and felt kinda sick from all the sugar in it. Or maybe it was all the butter in it. Who knows. But obviously they liked them a lot.

I would probably make these again with some adjustments. I'd cut back the sugar quite a bit. Probably about half. And I'm not sure I'd make the graham crackers again. It was a lot of work and everything textural and fresh about them gets obliterated once you chop them up. They were also rather sweet. I think I'd use a box next time.

PS Although I had them made early, doesn't mean I'm any less lazy about getting the pics off my camera!


The January 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Lauren of Celiac Teen. Lauren chose Gluten-Free Graham Wafers and Nanaimo Bars as the challenge for the month. The sources she based her recipe on are 101 Cookbooks and www.nanaimo.ca



1 comment:

kristenly said...

i am bad about waiting till the last minute myself. i finished mine yesterday. get those pictures up! some of us might want to see them. :-)