Sunday, June 22, 2008

Frozen Lemonade Pie and Popsicles

After napping away most of the day, I got up and decided to make something. I wanted something easy and cold. The frozen lemonade pie I made for Pi Day was pretty good so I decided to make that. I am not sure why, possibly because I didn't thaw the Cool Whip and beat it up a bit trying to mix it in and I didn't chill the sweetened condensed milk, but it didn't make as much as last time. Last time I filled the pie shell plus I had a bunch left over. This time I just filled the pie shell. I filled it more than last time but still, I guess I lost some of the volume on the Cool Whip.


Frozen Lemonade Pie

From Down Home with the Neely's

1 graham cracker crust
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk, chilled
1 (12 ounce) container whip topping, thawed
1 (6 fluid ounce) can frozen lemonade concentrate, keep frozen

In a medium bowl, add chilled sweetened condensed milk and cool whip and fold gently. Add frozen lemonade and continue to gently fold. Do not let the mixture become soupy. Pour mixture into the pie crust and freeze overnight.

You could garnish and all that stuff that people on TV and other fancy chefs do but this is a 10 second recipe like this.




I also wanted to make popsicles. I tried to buy popsicle molds but I couldn't find any so I decided to use an ice cube tray and toothpicks and call them mini popsicles. Well I think it worked out OK. They are kinda hard to get out of the ice cube tray but they hold to the toothpick pretty well so I managed to force the first one out. We will see how the rest of them go.

They are even relatively healthy (relative to all the other stuff I make so I don't know if anyone else would call them healthy but that's OK).


Mixed Berry Popsicles
I read something along these lines somewhere but I couldn't find it if I actually cared enough to look. This is barely a recipe.

8 oz vanilla yogurt
assorted mixed berries
sugar to taste

Strain the yogurt by lining a sieve with a paper towel and put the yogurt in it and let it sit for about an hour. Mash the berries up and add some sugar if you like. I used a handful of raspberries, a couple tablespoons of elderberry jam and about a tablespoon of sugar. Mix in the strained yogurt. Pour into molds. Freeze. Eat.

Can you tell it was a hot day?

2 comments:

Erick said...

I love the presentation of the popsicle.

Anne said...

Wow, those sound perfect for a hot day- yum!