Saturday, September 20, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Now that the house thing is resolved I decided I needed to bake something. Now keep in mind, although it is resolved, I am not actually moved in yet. I still am using my toaster oven to do all baking. I am still doing my prep at the bathroom sink. The place is all carpet, even in the bathroom, so I have to be really careful not to spill things.

Last week I got my copy of Bon Appetit. The trouble is I am still getting my mail at work. My boss is the one who gets the mail. He hands me my mail, one at a time as he is sorting through it. Then he sees the magazine. Since then I've been hearing about how I need to bring stuff in.

I brought flour, butter, sugar, baking soda with me... everything I need for chocolate chip cookies. Those were on the list of items I could not see myself living without for a month. I even had some kinda old dark chocolate bars. They sat in the car on my drive down, so the surface bloomed but I still used them. The cocoa butter goes back in when the chocolate melts while it bakes anyway.

I pretty much used the Original Nestle Tollhouse recipe, with some minor modifications.

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 heaping teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 8 oz chopped up dark chocolate
  • 4 oz Mint dark chocolate chips and Raspberry dark chocolate chips

  • Cream the butter, sugars and vanilla together.
    Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing until uniform before the next addition.
    Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt together and mix into the butter mix.
    Mix in the dark chocolate.
    Separate the dough and mix in mint and raspberry chips or anything else you want to different batches as desired.
    Refrigerate the dough for about 24 hours. Or leave in the fridge until you want cookies.
    Scoop into cookies on foil or parchment. I used a tablespoon.
    Sprinkle a few grains of salt on each cookie
    Bake an appropriate amount of time for the size cookies you are making. I didn't time it. I was using my toaster oven so I'd just look.
    Slide the cookies off your pan so they don't overcook.
    Allow the cookies to cool a few minutes before moving them.

    No comments: