Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Raspberry Peach Crunch Bars

I've been here for a few weeks now. I've had more sandwiches during that time than I have had in the year before. I got home today and was obsessing a bit about the whole house thing. I have issues committing to things. I didn't get a cell phone because I didn't want a contract. I took almost 3 months to buy a car because I couldn't commit to it. A house is difficult. So I've been thinking about it a bit.

Eventually I decided I should eat something. A sandwich would not cut it and I was not in the mood to go out. I had some peaches and tomatoes from the Charlotte Farmer's Market. So I made a tomato salad with fresh mozzarella and a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil and a sprinkle of kosher salt and pepper. I'm glad I brought those with me. I would have bought more if I hadn't. This tomato salad has become a bit of a staple in my recent diet.

I have bread but I just couldn't have another sandwich when I've had a peach smoothie (made in the Magic Bullet that I decided to open, not so impressed so far) and 2 peanut butter and honey sandwiches today. So I made my own little version of huevos ranchero (I think that's what it's called) only really far from it. I already had the tomato salad so I was'nt going to chop up another one to throw on here and I don't really have any mexican seasonings with me. So really it was a tortilla with onion, cheddar and an egg on top that I cooked in the toaster oven while I thought about dessert.

I needed a sugar fix. I had some cookies I'd bought but eh. I have some ice cream but eh. Making something is so much better. I know, this isn't exactly a high end fancy dessert but I needed some sort of baked good and my supplies are limited. I had a box of raspberry bar mix, some slivered almonds and the aforementioned peaches. And of course some butter.

Raspberry Peach Crunch Bars

1 box raspberry bar mix
1 stick butter, melted
slivered almonds, maybe a handful
1 yellow peach, sliced

Preheat oven to 350. Or in my case make something else to warm up the oven while you prep this.
Mix the butter with the crust mix together and press about 2/3 of it in a 9" square pan. Actually mine is about 8x10 but who is counting.
Bake the crust for about 15 minutes, per the box.
Toast the almonds for a few minutes until they just start to smell nutty.
Sprinkle some of the almonds on the par baked crust
Spread some of the raspberry filling on top.
Lay the peach slices in a single layer. They should cover the filling pretty well.
Spread the rest of the raspberry filling on top of the peaches.
Mix the rest of the almonds in with the rest of the crust mix.
Sprinkle evenly over the filling.
Press down gently into the filling.
Bake for about 26 minutes.
Allow to cool before slicing.


mmmm suuugggggaaaaaaarrrrrrrr

No comments: