Thursday, December 11, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers: Coq Au Vin

The first recipe for this month's Barefoot Bloggers is Coq Au Vin. It was chosen by Bethany. This recipe was an interesting choice because I've never actually cooked a whole chicken. Usually I buy cut up parts. Whether it's breasts, thighs, drumsticks, usually I only get one cut.

Well I bought a whole one cut up. I'd never really looked for a whole chicken before so I thought they would come whole and you have to cut them up. It was a whole lot easier that it was already broken down.

Another concern with this recipe was the wine. I don't drink. So I was a little unsure as to what to use. I was at the store when I called K (notice the Gossip Girl reference that totally amuses me) to tell me what to buy. I bought a Merlot. I'd have to dig through the trash to see what brand but I don't really care.

I didn't bother with the oil for the bacon... I never use oil for bacon, once the pan gets hot the bacon releases so much fat it seem like a waste of effort. I only used 4 strips of bacon. And I went to 3 different stores is search of frozen pearl onions before I gave up and decided to go home. The sliced onions will have to do.

My pic looks quite unappetizing and I couldn't decide what the appropriate utensil was so I stuck one of everything in the bowl. Oh and I made some roasted brussel sprouts that are underneath. But it was a decent meal. I maybe over cooked it because the meat was practically falling off the bone but it was good and I like it like that.



Coq Au Vin

4 strips of bacon, cut into small pieces
1 chicken, broken down
1/2 lb carrots, cut into bite size pieces
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 sprigs of rosemary
1 bottle red wine
1 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp flour
1/2 lb mushrooms

Cook the bacon on medium in a cast iron dutch oven. Remove the bacon and leave the drippings to cook the rest. Add chicken pieces to form a single layer and brown on both sides. Set aside with the bacon and brown the rest of the chicken. Remove all the chicken. Add the onions and carrots and cook until the onions just start to brown. Add the garlic and cook for a few seconds. Start adding the wine, stock, rosemary and add back the chicken and bacon. Bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. Move to a 250 degree oven and allow to cook for about 40 mins. Form a roux with 1 tbsp oil and flour and add it to the chicken. Brown the mushrooms in the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and then add to the chicken. Simmer for a few minutes.

2 comments:

chocolatechic said...

We don't drink either, so the girl and I stood in front of the wine section for about 10 minutes before I asked for help.

I didn't do pearl onion either.

We thought that this was fabulous.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This was so delicious, wasn't it?