Thursday, December 25, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers: Pappa Al Pomodoro

This recipe was chosen by Natalie. Now when I saw the name I didn't even know what it was. Pappa Al Pomidoro. How am I supposed to know what that is? I had to look at the recipe a few times before I even pieced it together. It's a soup (mine came out closer to a stew) with bread in it and croutons.

Mistake #1 was starting this when I was hungry. So I started chopping stuff and then I started rummaging around looking for something I could eat right away. Then I'd do another step and go looking for more food. Miraculously I didn't burn anything (including myself)

So this is how I started. I chopped up the veggies that were in the recipe (sorta). I bought a kinda big bulb of fennel so it was probably more than the recipe, plus I had all the fronds and it was throw them in or throw them out... you can see what I did. I just used up the carrots I had, it may or may not be as much as it asked for and when I went to chop the onions (it called for 2) I realized I only had 1 good one. The other one wasn't looking so good. But here are the veggies in the pot.... on top of this there is so much stuff that is supposed to go in, I probably should have used a different pot.


When I went to the grocery store I knew I needed bread and fennel. Forgot to look at what type of bread so I got a baguette. When I got home I realize it called for ciabatta but oh well. It said to put some of it in the soup, like in with the veggies and in there while it simmers. I don't really understand what was supposed to happen with the bread... mine just turned mushy but didn't break down enough to thicken the soup. But the croutons were good. I used maple bacon instead of pancetta, which is slightly weird though not bad. And I toasted them up on the stove rather than in the oven.

Oh and I left out the wine and used a lot less tomato and stock then called for, probably why it came out so stew like.

So this is my super anise-y stew with maple bacon croutons. It's not bad, though definitely way too much fennel. I'll definitely use this approach to making toast, croutons or any other bread product in the future. If I make the soup again I think I'll leave the bread out and just make extra croutons.

No comments: