Sunday, December 7, 2008

Garlic Shrimp Pasta

I really should cut back on my grocery shopping. My freezer is absolutely packed. First, I had a stash of all sorts of things that I felt I needed to stock my fridge: frozen peas, corn, a few bottles of water, vodka, frozen shrimp, a frozen pizza, a few ice packs, assorted nuts and so on. Then there was batches of assorted things that I just had too much of: pasta I'd made, an angel food cake because I had egg whites left from all the cinnamon buns, a bunch of bagels, some of the leftover risotto cakes I'd made a while ago. And then there was all the stuff left from thanksgiving, a shelf full of stuff my parents brought, turkey stock, turkey soup left from the turkey pot pies.

So it was time to start using up stuff that was there. This time I decided to use up some shrimp and pasta from the freezer. I made something between a shrimp scampi and an alfredo sauce. Came out pretty good and it was really easy to make and only took a couple minutes. I made enough for 2 meals, one for dinner and one to take to work for lunch sometime during the week.


Garlic Shrimp Pasta

Shrimp (enough for 1 layer across the bottom of the pan)
Butter (about 1 tbsp)
Olive Oil (about 1 tbsp)
Garlic (2 cloves), finely minced
Fresh Pasta (1/3 lb)
Flour (about 1 tbsp)
Salt
Pepper
Splash of milk
A squeeze of lemon juice

Thaw the shrimp, peel and devein as needed. Sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Set a pan on medium low and add the butter and oil. Add the garlic and shrimp, laying it out so the shrimp forms a single layer. Cook for about 1 min until the underside is pink and flip shrimp over. Add milk and heat up to a simmer.

Meanwhile, boil the pasta. It should only take a minute or so to cook fresh pasta. Add it to the shrimp and toss. Squeeze lemon juice on top.

No comments: