Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Mushroom and Onion Bread Pudding

I had some seriously stale bread sitting around. This bread to be specific. So I was trying to think of what to do with it. So I ended up on the route to bread pudding. But I didn't want a regular bread pudding because A, been there done that and it wasn't that great and I haven't really found a really good recipe and B, my moratorium on baked goods until after Christmas.

So I decided to do a savory bread pudding. Also a great way to use up stuff in the fridge. Impressively, this actually came out better than my attempts at a normal bread pudding. Rich and creamy with a bit of a crust on the edges. I just used up the bread I had, the rest of a just past the expiration date carton of milk, mushrooms that were in the fridge that were getting close, a hunk of Asiago I bought a while ago because Asiago is wonderful but didn't have anything in mind for what I was going to do with it and a few other things.



Mushroom and Onion Bread Pudding

A bunch of stale bread, torn or cut into small chunks, enough to fill a 8x10 baking pan or whatever you decide to use
2 cups of milk, I am guessing, I just poured the rest of the carton in and figured that was good
5 eggs, lightly beaten
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz Asiago cheese, grated
splash of hot sauce

Saute the mushrooms in some olive oil. When they are browned remove them from the pan.
In the same pan, sweat the onions on low with a generous pinch of salt and oil until just starting to brown.
Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
Add the mushrooms and bread and toss to combine while the pan cools.
Whisk together the eggs and milk in a medium bowl.
Add about 1 tsp of salt, grind in some pepper and add the hot sauce. Mix to combine.
Mix in the bread mixture. Allow to sit for several minutes to allow the moisture to soak into the bread.
Mix in the cheese, saving some for the top.
Coat your baking pan with non stick cooking spray
Transfer the mixture into the baking pan.
Sprinkle with the reserved cheese.
Bake at 350 for 45 mins.
Allow to cool and set for at least 15 mins before serving.

No comments: