Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Citrus Meltaways

I made another batch of cookies. I started with this recipe, though obviously there were some adjustments made. I ran out of vanilla the other day. Though actually I just realized I have another bottle. Oh well, the dough is already in the freezer for later.

I had a few limes that I bought as an impulse purchase because everywhere else I looked the limes were like $1 a piece and this was actually reasonable, I forget what. Then they sat in my produce drawer, making them less of a savings. But I used one tonight! The outside wasn't looking so good because it had been sitting in my produce drawer for a few weeks. I had some lemon zest in the freezer so I decided to use that, making them Citrus Meltaways rather than Lime Meltaways.

These posts might be more interesting if I had actually made them and tasted them but the dough tasted good! Quite bright and citrus-y. Hopefully it will keep its acidity after it bakes.


1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lime juice
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
a pinch of salt
2/3 cup powdered sugar

Cream the butter and 1/3 cup powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
Add zest and juice and cream until well combined and light.
Mix in flour and salt.
Roll into a 1.5" diameter log and chill for at least 1 hour.
Slice into 1/8" rounds.
Bake at 350 for about 15 mins or until just barely brown.
Place the remaining powdered sugar in a bowl. When the cookies come out of the oven, toss them in the powdered sugar so that it sticks all over the cookies.

No comments: