Saturday, January 3, 2009

Candied Orange Zest

This is a post I wrote before I left and scheduled so something would be going on here during the 2 weeks that I'm gone. I'll be visiting assorted people and may or may not have time to make anything/post anything up here.

I got a bag of oranges from work. There were 8 in the bag. I had been eyeing a couple recipes for Candied Citrus Peel so I decided to use it. This was supposed to be a no cooking, use up what's in my fridge and leave for a few weeks. Well this won't go bad in the fridge while I'm gone so I am almost doing it.

I am leaving it in the pot of syrup in the fridge until I get back. When I get back I'll do the roll in sugar and maybe dip in chocolate, that's still TBD.

You'll be left with a lot of orange simple sugar, which is good in tea or you could make another batch. I suppose you could probably half the sugar/water mix and that's probably enough. I thought about doing that but then I wasn't sure there would be enough. That's OK. Simple syrup never goes to waste.

These are the organges that were left. You can see I started snacking then.

Here they are in the syrup after boiling in it for a while.

Here they are finished and rolled in sugar.


Candied Orange Peel

8 oranges
6 cups sugar
2 cups water

Cut the ends off of each of the oranges. Score the oranges once around with your knife to facilitate peeling. Use your fingers to peel off the peel.
Put all the peels in a large pot. Add water to cover. Boil about 20 mins.
Fish out the peels. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, use a spoon and scrape off the pith. You want to make sure you get all the pith but be careful and try not to tear the peel. If you have trouble getting the pith off throw it back in the water and come back to it later.
Slice the peel into thin strips, however big you want them.
Put the 6 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil.
Add the peel to the syrup and simmer for about 45 minutes. The zest should be translucent.
Allow to cool in the syrup overnight.
Fish out of the syrup and put on a fine mesh strainer over the pot, allow any excess syrup to drain and toss is sugar.
Dip in dark chocolate, if desired.

No comments: