Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bacon Spinach Panzanella Salad

I was getting some maple syrup so I could eat the leftover pancakes I had in the fridge for breakfast tomorrow. There was some bread in the clearance section. You know, the stuff from the day before or something. Perfect for making croutons.

From there I decided to make a spinach salad. Doesn't that sound healthy? By spinach salad I mean a bunch of fresh bacon-y croutons, bacon bits, goat cheese with a little spinach. This is still pretty healthy for me.

It was actually really good. Although maybe not the healthiest salad out there, pretty healthy for me. And good. It would have been better if I hadn't cut through my nail and finger while cutting up the bread but oh well. And of course it was the one I smashed a while ago and the nail never quite grew back right. I'll post pics of that after I am less afraid of blood getting everywhere when I take the bandaid off.

I only used about 1/4 of a lemon but it could have used more so I'd go with a half. I'd also add some dried cranberries and some minced garlic to the bacon/bread while it cooks next time.


Bacon Spinach Panzanella Salad

1 strip maple bacon
several slices of French bread, slightly stale and cubed
a drizzle of olive oil
2 big handfuls baby spinach
about 1 oz goat cheese
1/2 lemon

Slice up the bacon into small pieces. Put it in a cold pan.
Add the bread. Drizzle with olive oil.
Turn the pan on medium low.
Cook covered for about 15 mins, tossing occasionally, until you have nice crisp croutons and bacon bits.
Turn the burner off.
Add the spinach, squeeze the lemon over everything and toss so that it wilts a little.
Put it in a large bowl. Sprinkle with goat cheese chunks.

No comments: