Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Potstickers

Like I mentioned, there is that asian grocery store down the street from my house. I had seen some posts online about potstickers and decided I wanted to try to make them. I meant to make them over the weekend but then I didn't quite get to it.

Maybe a Tuesday night was not the best time to do it but nonetheless that's when I decided to do it. It ended up taking about 3.5 hours, which included making a batch of cookies because, well, I needed cookies. So I didn't get dinner until after 9 that night but they were good.

My first batch that I ate didn't have that great of a crust because I was hungry and somewhat impatient but that's OK. The next batch had a better crust that I had for lunch the next day. And I froze a bunch of them for later. And I only cut myself once making them. I probably should have chopped the cabbage smaller and maybe let it strain out more but still pretty good nonetheless.



1 pack dumpling skins
egg whites

Filling:
1 lb ground pork
1 head cabbage, finely chopped
salt
6 green onions, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced (I would add more next time)
2 inches ginger, grated
4 oz silken tofu
3 tbsp soy sauce (I would add more next time)
1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar

Layer the cabbage with salt in a fine mesh strainer and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes, tossing every once in a while. Squeeze out all water that comes out.
Mix together the rest of teh filling ingredients so it is completely uniform.
Mix in the cabbage.

Lay out the dumpling skin.
Brush the edges with the egg white.
Fill with about 1/2 tbsp of filling.
Crimp the edges. Look for a video online for how to do it.
Repeat until you get bored or run out of ingredients or get hungry and want to cook up a batch.

To cook:
Heat up a nonstick pan on medium with about a little oil.
Lay out a single layer of dumplings.
Allow to cook for a few minutes.
Add water so that the dumplings are about half submerged.
Cover and allow to cook until the water is almost all gone.
Take the cover off and cook until the pan is dry and the bottom of the dumplings get a nice crust.

No comments: