Saturday, January 24, 2009

Cookies

I had a cookie baking marathon. All the doughs I had made since Thanksgiving got baked. Here are some pics.

Citrus Meltaways:


Chocolate Chip Cookies:


Chocolate Butterfinger Cookies:

I also attempted to make Rugelach. They didn't work out so well. I guess I didn't work enough flour in and they ran out all over the pan. I broke it into chunks when it cooled. They still tasted good though they definitely did not come out the way they were supposed to. This is that recipe, though I would work more flour in next time if I try again. Maybe 2 cups flour, scoop and sweep rather than sifted. Well we'll see. No pics of this because it was a mess.


Rugelach
can't remember where I got it from.

1 pack cream cheese, room temperature
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour, sifted

apricot preserves, pureed

Filling:
6 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1/2 cup raisins

Coating:
1 egg beaten, with 1 tbsp milk
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Cream the butter, cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla until light and fluffy.
Mix in the flour just until combined.
Split the dough into 4 equal balls.
Wrap the balls in plastic wrap and flatten into disks.
Refrigerate the disks for at least 1 hour to firm up the dough.
Mix together the filling.
Roll out the dough into a 9" circle.
Brush with a thin coating of apricot puree
Cover with the filling.
Cut into 12 equal wedges, like each hour on a clock.
Roll each one up starting on the outside of the circle.
Place on a greased cookie sheet.
Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle on the coating.
Bake at 350 for 15 mins or until done.

No comments: