Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

As I think I mentioned before, I got Bakewise by Shirley O. Corriher a few weeks ago. K heard mention of it on NPR, which is how he knew about the existence of the book. So he got it for me. And not for Christmas because he knows better than that. This is why I have allowed him to exist. He has a slight obsession with NPR. By slight I mean he is like that lady in the NPR fundraising commercials saying "I constantly find myself saying 'I heard this on NPR..' in everyday conversations." It might just be a local commercial but you get the idea.

Anyway, these are the cookies she talked about on NPR. She said these are her favorite cookies of all time. So I made them for K when he came and visited. By made for him I mean I made them while he was here and allowed him to have 2. The rest were mine. All mine.

A bunch of people online have made them already so I'm slow but that's OK. Apparently a lot of food bloggers are NPR fans as well. And are a bit faster than I am. I saw some posts on them the day after it was on NPR. They moved fast.

The key to these is using really good chocolate. These are really about the chocolate. There isn't much else to them.

The first batch came out slightly burnt on the bottom because I wasn't really sure on the timing. I made them slightly smaller than she recommended so I baked them shorter but then left them a few minutes longer because they didn't look done. The second batch came out nice and melty and chewy in the middle. mmmm I like cookies.

One thing is, I really need to get a kitchen scale. This would work so much better if I had a scale and didn't have to do the volume approximations.



Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
in Bakewise, by Shirley O. Corriher with minor tweaks

8.2 grams AP flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
8 oz good dark chocolate (I used 60% Callebaut)
2 3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp corn syrup
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup confectioners sugar

In a medium bowl, beat together flour, baking powder, salt.
Melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 15 seconds to keep it from burning, until it is just melted.
In a mixer, beat together 2 1/2 cps sugar, oil and corn syrup to blend. Beat in eggs, egg yolk and vanilla. Then, on low, beat in melted chocolate. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until uniform.
Form cookie size balls (about 1 1/2"), cover in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least a couple hours (or leave in the fridge or freezer until you want cookies)
Pour the remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl and the granulated sugar in another bowl.
Roll the balls in the granulated sugar and then powdered sugar.
Arrange on greased piece of foil on a cookie sheet. The cookies will spread quite a bit so make sure to leave plenty of room for them to bake.
Bake 12-14 mins at 325. Make sure to keep the cookie sheet level when putting them in the oven. The balls roll off very easily.
Allow to cool on the baking sheet only until the firm up. Then slide the foil off the cookie sheet to cool completely.

No comments: