This recipe was a pretty easy month. No 18 components that all need to be baked separately. No really random ingredients that I didn't already have. The recipe is so simple I could probably do it on a weeknight after I got home from work. Piece of cake!
The biggest concern was the bit about something fruity. What's fruity and January? The only things I could think of was citrus and bananas. I had a lot of trouble with this. I spent a couple weeks just trying to think of something fruity that would work with these. Something that wouldn't make the tuiles turn to mush because it's too liquidy but something that's not a cake with random things stuck on top.
Fortunately I saw a recipe for Tangerine Sherbet and decided that would be it. It was warm enough the day I decided to make it, in the 50's, to keep sherbet from being too inappropriate for January. When I looked at the tangerines I had they weren't looking so good. I had had them for a few weeks and was trying to use them up but oh well. I had some oranges so I made orange sherbet instead. More on that in a separate post tomorrow.
I can't say I'm thrilled with how mine came out. It did the same thing as my 'crisp' layer of the yule log came out. Meaning a rubbery disk. I don't know what I am doing wrong and I think I am giving up on these types of things. They just are not working out for me.
I took a couple pics of it with the sherbet but I don't feel like posting them because the tuiles just did not work out and it seems wrong to post pics of it when it failed so badly. This was a sad Daring Bakers challenge. Hopefully next month will work out better.
Edit: Here's a pic
This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Baking Soda and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf.
They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.