Thursday, December 18, 2008

Shrimp Fried Rice

So I don't really know why this is but I seem to constantly be trying to use up stuff in my fridge. It doesn't really make sense because there should be some stage of filling the fridge so that I have something to empty. But I don't seem to have that phase. Possibly because I tend to buy groceries on impulse so then it goes into the fridge and becomes something to use up.

This weekend I bought a lobster because I was reading all over the place what a good deal lobster was right now and that it wouldn't last. Now it is in the freezer. I don't know what I am going to do with it since I've never cooked a lobster before.

Anyway, back to this post..... I needed to make something else to cover lunches for the week and I'd thawed out some shrimp. Though I didn't feel like making more pasta this time. I was kinda craving something asian-ish. I thought about beef with broccoli but then I had thawed the shrimp. I know, I'm brilliant.

So this is what I ended up with. It took a while because I chopped the veggies ridiculously small. Like 1/32 of an inch small. And I don't exactly have the best knife skills. But I didn't cut myself, which is totally an accomplishment. It was largely a 'hey look, I have x' type dish. Though the one thing I bought for it was bean sprouts, which I forgot to add. Now I'll have to think of something else to use the bean sprouts in before they go bad.

Fried Rice

1 large onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
roast pork, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 cups raw shrimp, chopped
a few cups leftover white rice
2 eggs
soy sauce
rice wine vinegar
oyster sauce
vegetable oil

Chop everything before you start.
Heat up a large skillet on high heat. I suppose you could use a wok but, well, I didn't.
Add some oil to the pan and cook the shrimp, just until they turn barely pink.
Remove shrimp from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
Add the roast pork and toss until it is warmed through and releases some of its fat.
Add the pork to the shrimp.
Add the onions, celery and carrots to the pan. Add oil as needed.
Saute for a minute until everything softens.
Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
Add rice, pork and shrimp and stir to combine.
Allow to sit for a few seconds to let the bottom get crisp.
Pour eggs over the top and stir.
Saute until the eggs get cooked through.
Pour soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and oyster sauce over the rice and combine.
Taste and determine if you need anything else.

No comments: