Sunday, November 16, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers Catch Up: Apple Turnovers

So I've started trying to catch up on all the food blogging that I didn't do while I was moving. I have about 30 recipes stuck on my refrigerator plus more that I haven't gotten around to printing yet. I am not sure I will ever catch up... I see so many recipes that I want and then I never seem to get a chance to make all of them. Not to mention, I never seem to be able to follow a recipe and I end up screwing them up half the time so then I either have to retry it or call it a flop.

Anyway, I decided to do one of the Barefoot Blogger recipes. Apples are still in peak season so I made Apple Turnovers. It's a real simple recipe, though I still failed to follow it. It called for dried cherries but I had raisins; it called for orange juice and zest but I had lemons; it called for 3 apples but I bought 4 because I couldn't remember what I needed so I bought 4 figuring that would be plenty. I ended up needing to roll the puff pastry out thinner to make it big enough for all the filling and I got tired of waiting for it to thaw because i didn't think to put it in the fridge or take it out to thaw until i wanted to roll it.

While my pastries weren't perfect, they still tasted good. They were pretty good fresh but they kinda lost that crispy goodness once they got cold.

No comments: