Friday, November 28, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers: Herb Roasted Onions

My parents came to my house for thanksgiving. Among a few other traditional Thanksgiving items, I made the Herb Roasted Onions that everyone else posted a few weeks ago. So I'm a little slow. At least I made them.

This actually worked out well because my Thanksgiving menu was a bit heavy on the protein and starch and this allowed me to attempt to call it a somewhat balanced meal. I tried to get brussel sprouts on Wednesday but when I went to the grocery store they didn't have any; no fresh ones and not even frozen ones! I was at a bit of a loss because I really didn't have a whole lot to my menu besides turkey and starch.

Fortunately I thought of this recipe. I bought a probe thermometer just for the turkey though I know it'll prove useful for other things as well but it didn't work out. It said the turkey was done about an hour into cooking. So then I was left to guess when the turkey would finish and therefore when to start prepping everything else. About an hour and a half into the turkey I was getting bored and decided to start prepping the sides. These took all of about 2 minutes to mix together the dressing and prep the onions. While good in general for a food prep thing, it didn't keep me busy long enough. Everything was ready to go so at 2.5 hours I decided the turkey should be done.

The onions went in the oven when the turkey came out, along with a batch of Crash Potatoes and a tray of Mac 'n cheese. I trimmed the stems back enough so that by the time they were done, pretty much all of the onion pieces separated. Which is a good thing. No one wants a big clump of onion.

These came out pretty good, though not extremely exciting. I had a number of other somewhat sweet sides so the sweetness of the onions may not have shined the way they would have if I'd had it with just a steak or piece of chicken or something.

There was too much going on that I didn't take a picture of them. They weren't very pretty anyway. My food tends not to be pretty so sometimes I wonder why I even bother posting a pic but they were good and now they are gone. Maybe I'll make them again sometime and take a pic then.

No comments: