Monday, November 3, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers Catch up: Butternut Squash Risotto

I did another catch up recipe from the Barefoot Bloggers. This time I did the Butternut Squash Risotto. It's the perfect season for butternut squash now so I picked one up.

This year was the first time I've ever cooked butternut squash. Sad, I know. I never really ate any gourds growing up and well... I've had it now. It's quite tasty. Earthy and mildly sweet. Quite a bit like sweet potatoes.

As usual, I followed the recipe somewhat loosely. I don't seem to be capable of following a recipe as it is written. Even when I intend to follow a recipe exactly as it's written something inevitably happens. Maybe I need to seek help in this matter.

Anyway, I made approximately 1/3 of the recipe.... I would have been eating risotto for the next 6 months if I made the whole thing. And I pureed the butternut squash before adding it (though not all that well). And I didn't have any wine so I just used a bit more chicken stock. And I didn't have any shallots, pancetta or saffron so I just used onions. Below is my recipe.

I had it with soy balsamic glazed chicken thighs. I know, they don't really go together but you should be used to that by now.



Butternut Squash Risotto
  • 1/2 butternut squash
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2.5 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup rice
  • freshly grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Peel the butternut squash, remove the seeds, and cut it into 3/4-inch cubes. Place the squash on a sheet pan and toss it with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing once, until very tender. Puree in food processor.

In a pot melt the butter and saute the onions on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until translucent but not browned. Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with butter. Add about 1/2 cup stock, salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Each time, cook until the mixture seems a little dry, then add more stock. Continue until the rice is cooked through, but still al dente, about 30 minutes total. Add the roasted squash puree and Parmesan. Mix well and serve.

1 comment:

Cynthia's Blog said...

at least you are doing this recipes! who cares if you are late? By the way... my family and i hated this recipe. Ugg.