Thursday, November 27, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers: Mexican Chicken Soup

I know it's Thanksgiving so I should have a Thanksgiving post. Instead I am posting this Barefoot Bloggers soup that I made a few weeks ago.

So the other weekend I ended up getting sick. Of course it was the first time I had plans for the weekend since I had moved into my house so naturally I ended up sick. So the weekend that was supposed to be about relaxing and having fun was not as fun as I hoped. I guess I ended up running a fever at some point. And our ambitious plans to go out and do stuff resulted in us renting a couple movies and me falling asleep and being feverish.

I had the recipe for this Mexican Chicken soup printed from when it was chosen for Barefoot Bloggers and I determined this would be a good time to make it. A nice hot bowl of chicken soup is supposed to fix everything so I had at it.

I used 2 boneless skinless breasts because I had those in the freezer. And I used a small can of fire roasted tomatoes rather than the large can of whole crushed tomatoes. And I used a pot that was clearly too small for this soup. Other than that I stuck with the recipe. This is actually pretty good for me. Oh and I wasn't great about watching the time so I'm not sure how I did with timing relative to the recipe but it came out decent.

Now I had some concerns with this recipe. I don't like tomato soup. And I not real big on spicy food. And I've never really made soup that came out good before. So I wasn't extremely optimistic about how this would come out. I had a can of Progresso in the pantry in case this didn't work out so well.

Well I have to say I am quite happy with this soup. It came out hearty but not overly rich; flavorful but not over spiced (also, I didn't add all the salt that it called for, I don't seem to like a lot of salt and therefore often under season my food) and it was just very satisfying.

And it helped open up my sinuses a bit.

I had a couple bowls and then 4 quart containers. I froze 2 for future needs and left 2 for lunches for the week.

You can go to the links above if you want to see the recipe.

No comments: