Wednesday, February 18, 2009

French Onion Soup

So I've been in the south for almost 6 months now. I'm adapting. A little. Hush puppies are tasty. And I attempted biscuits. Can't quite handle the amount of deep fried stuff they eat down here. But that's OK.

I have adapted to the weather. It's a cold day if the high is below 60. It's been a kinda cold week. The highs have been just under 50! That's practically freezing! If I had to park my car outside there would be frost on it in the mornings sometimes.

So I decided to make soup. French Onion Soup, to be specific. Only trouble with this is, I don't have soup crocks (which I will totally buy one day). The other reason being I saw this recipe on Pioneer Woman. Her stuff always looks so good. I'm jealous.

I couldn't do it for a while because I had lotsa food in the fridge. Leftovers from assorted meals. And I figured I probably shouldn't overflow my fridge. Though on the other hand, I had thawed a quart of Turkey Stock. And a lot of my leftovers were... not the most balanced. Lotsa fried stuff. And onions are vegetables. And lots of stock. Stock isn't bad for you. Ignore the crunchy toast and gooey browned cheese on top. And the butter. And all the salt that's in the stock.



French Onion Soup

6 small onions, sliced thin
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 quart chicken stock
1 quart beef stock
2 cloves garlic
a splash of Worcestershire Sauce
Thick sliced french bread or if you are me and realize as you are making the soup you forgot to pick up bread, use a piece of frozen garlic bread from the freezer
Gruyere cheese, shredded or you don't feel like getting out the grater and you have some shredded mozzerella go for it

Brown the onions in the oil and butter. Stir them only on occasion so that they get really really brown. Add the chicken stock, beef stock, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for at least a half an hour. Taste and season. Drizzle the bread with olive oil and toast in the oven until good and crunchy. Place the soup in a bowl, ramekin or any other vessel you want. Place the toast. Arrange piece or pieces as necessary to cover the soup. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until the cheese is brown and bubbly and ooey and gooey.

No comments: