Saturday, February 21, 2009

Fridge cleaning Frittata

It was Saturday morning and I was home. I couldn't seem to get going until after noon. But eventually I got up and I was hungry. I started rummaging around the fridge when I found the asparagus and smoked salmon we bought last week.

We had intended to make an omelet with them. I've never actually made a successful omelet. Not that looks like an omelet anyway. It ends up being scrambled eggs with stuff mixed in. Anyway, we didn't get to the asparagus but the smoked salmon was open so I decided to make this frittata. I had some goat cheese and cream cheese in the fridge too so those went in also. The cream cheese gives it a creamy richness whereas the goat cheese gives it a bit of a bite. But use whatever you find in the fridge. That's how my cooking goes anyway.






Fridge Cleaning Frittata

1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 oz smoked salmon, cut into thin strips
about 1 tbsp cream cheese
about 1 oz goat cheese
6 eggs, lightly beaten
about 1/4 cup milk

Saute the asparagus in some olive oil, salt and red pepper flake in a nonstick oven safe pan over medium low heat until they start to sizzle and get fragrant. Meanwhile beat together eggs and milk. Add the smoked salmon to the asparagus and stir to combine. Pour the eggs over the pan so that they spread across the pan. Drop the goat cheese and cream cheese in small chunks into the egg. Allow it to continue to cook stovetop for a few minutes. Then transfer to the oven and allow it to finish cooking and start to brown on top, about 15 mins. I put it into an unpreheated oven set to 350 but just check for browning. To remove from pan, use a spatula to make sure it is loose and will release from the pan. Place a plate on top, upside down. Flip the whole thing over and remove the pan. Tada. Sprinkle with chives or parsley or whatever makes you happy.

No comments: