Thursday, February 5, 2009

Touch of Grace Biscuits

Like I've mentioned, I have a copy of Bakewise, by Shirley O Corriher.

The book just came out so I guess she is doing some promotional things. Among other things, I'm sure, she's been on NPR couple times. The first time was before Christmas with the Chocolate Crinkle Cookies.

She was also on Charlotte Talks, which is obviously not broadcasted nationally. Which means 8 million people haven't already made and posted about them. Which means this isn't the 8 millionth post about them that exists online. I actually haven't seen any posts on them!

This was an hour talking about biscuits. mmmm biscuits. One of the good things about living in the South now is biscuits. And hush puppies. Good fresh from the fryer hush puppies. And the fact that I can make just about anything and they go away at work that day, which helps keep me from eating 10 dozen cookies (or other things) in a day.

Anyway, back to the biscuits. Well this was an hour long show about biscuits. I couldn't listen to it live because I had to go to work but they have it online. If you want to listen to it, it's here. They had Shirley, a VP of Bojangles, and a chef.

Needless to say, this left me with a major biscuit craving. I think I need to try the Bojangles biscuits at some point. I drive by 3 that I can think of on may way to work every day so keeping myself from getting them, especially since I had a long week at work this week, was challenging.

So over the weekend I decided to make them. These biscuits are really good. Really light and fluffy and really not that difficult. Don't have to chill dough or try to cut butter in (I've always had so much trouble with that!) and the shortening is really easy to work in

I had some issues forming the biscuits. I covered just about everything in my kitchen with flour. I mean everything. The counter, the island, my computer, the TV, the remote, my rice cooker....

At first I dropped the dough in flour in a small bowl. When I tried to pick it up the dough ran through my fingers back into the bowl. I finally managed to get something into the pan but they all ran together and there were big clumps of flour all over the batter. I ended up scooping it back into the batter and trying again. BUT.... I did eventually figure out how to make it work!

For next time:
  • I'll make the dough in a medium bowl.
  • Then have a large bowl with a couple cups of flour in it and dump the batter on top, toward one side of the large bowl. Maybe do it in batches, depends on the size of the bowl and all.
  • Cover your hands with flour.
  • Pull off clumps of batter into the flour and toss back and forth between your hands to coat. The only way to do it is to put both hands in and pass back and forth. Like the way you do when you grab something small out of the oven and it's too hot to hold but you don't have anywhere to put it down because you have a mess in the kitchen. Don't even try to tell me I'm the only one who does this.
  • Then place the dough balls into the greased pan.




Touch of Grace Biscuits
from Bakewise, by Shirley O Corriher (with minor modifications because I can't read)

2 cups White Lilly AP flour, sifted
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup butter flavored shortening
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup AP flour, for shaping
3 tbsp butter, melted

Combine the 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
Add Shortening and work in with your fingers until there are no more large clumps.
Stir in the cream.
Start adding buttermilk slowly.
Keep adding buttermilk until the texture resembles cottage cheese.
Put the flour for shaping in a dish with sloped sides.
Scoop around 1/4 cup scoops of the dough into the flour.
Flour your hands and flip the dough in the flour to coat.
Put biscuits into a greased 9" cake pan. Put them up against each other to help them rise.
Bake at 425 for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned.
Remove from oven and brush with melted butter

No comments: