Sunday, February 1, 2009

Scallion Pancakes

Chinese new year was sometime not that long ago. So over the weekend I decided to try and make some semi-authentic chinese food. I know, it's not much and quite late but oh well. It's kinda my first attempt at chinese food. It's always intimidated me a bit because I don't know the seasonings and flavors.

We would always get scallion pancakes whenever we went into Flushing when I was little. I'd never tried making them before. They are actually quite easy and not fussy. Take a little bit of time but other than that, not much trouble.

You cook them so the outside is crisp but the inside is chewy. It's got a nice light oniony flavor that is oh so good. They are usually served with soy sauce to dip it in but I ate them plain. They are flavorful enough without the extra salt kick. They were good enough for me to eat the entire batch. Next time I'll double it.







Scallion Pancakes
based on this recipe from SmashingCook

1 cup of flour
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tbsp of olive oil for dough
1/2 cup of boiling water (more or less)

4 tbsp of olive oil for sauteing minced garlic
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup of finely sliced scallion

Saute the garlic in olive oil for a couple minutes to infuse the oil and cook the garlic until it just starts to brown.
Set aside the garlic with the scallion.

Combine the flour and salt.
Mix in the 1/2 tbsp olive oil and water.
Knead until the dough comes together. Allow to rest for at least 15 minutes.
Break off pieces of dough and roll out to about 1/4 inch.
Brush with garlic oil.
Sprinkle on some garlic and scallions.
Roll up into a tube and coil the tube into a circle.
Let rest while you make the rest.
Repeat with the rest of the dough.
Take the first coil and roll it so that it sticks together, forms a pancake and has a uniform thickness.
Fry both sides until golden brown.

No comments: